The Podded Propulsion training course covers all technical aspects of a podded system, from a tractor tug fitted with azimuth thrusters to a passenger ship fitted with Azi Pods.
The two-day course consists of one day of tuition followed by a day on the ship manoeuvring simulator
No prerequisites required.
The Class Size is limited to 4 persons.
The course will be delivered by experienced lecturers at MMRTC.
MMRTC will issue a Certificate of Attendance on the merit of 100% attendance.
1. Conventional Propulsion Systems.
- Diesel-Mechanical Propulsion System
- Diesel-Electrical Propulsion System
2. Introduction to Thruster as a means of propulsion.
- Thruster Construction – General
3. Introduction to Pod Propulsion
- Manufacturers of Pods.
- What is Azi Pod?
4. Electrical Overview in Pod Propulsion.
- Frequency Converters
- Electric Motors used in Pod Propulsion
5. Azi Pod Technical Features
- Construction – Layout
- Electrical Motor
- Steering Gear
- Shaft Line Bearing Arrangements
- Shaft Water Seal
- Shaft Line Lube Oil Arrangement
- Shaft Brake Arrangement
- Cooling Arrangement for the Propeller Motor
- Ship System Interface
6. The Manual / Remote Control System.
- General Layout.
- Steering Angle Convention.
- Transfer of Command.
- Back-up Systems.
- Intelligent Bridge Control Interface.
7. Propulsion Condition Management System.
- Shaft Bearing Monitoring
- Propulsion System Monitoring
- Nautical Data Interface
8. Azi Pod Propulsion
- Advantages over Conventional Propulsion
9. Other Unconventional Propulsion Systems